Follow us

Stay Connected

 

This small village gets its name from four McTavish brothers from Ontario that came to Manitoba to homestead in the late 1880s.

Located between Morris and Rosenort, this community is known for its willow trees and grassy marshes.

 

OTHER SPECIAL PLACES

McTavish Area

Named for four McTavish Brothers (Robert, Ed, John and James) who arrived here from Ontario in 1880s, McTavish is a small roadside stop once having a small general store and post office operated by the Peter Wiens family.

 

 

Warkentin House

This farmyard, located on River Rd north of Rosenort, was built by Henry D. Warkentin, one of the first settlers who came to the area from Russia about 1874. It was the second house for the family, replacing a small house first moved onto the farm.

It later became the home of the Jacob D. Rempel, and son, Alvin (and Diana) Rempel (204-746-8878). (Furrows in the Valley, p. 396)

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

Jac W. Brandt House

This picturesque house and farmsite located on the bank of the Morris River, just north of the Henry W. Brandt farm, is the former farmyard of son, Jac W. Brandt. It is now lived in by his son, Harry (and Audrey) Brandt.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

H.W. Brandt Farmhouse and Barn

bright red barnThis house and barn, located on the bank of the Morris River just north of Rosenort, was the farmyard of Henry W. Brandt family who came from the Ukraine to Manitoba in about 1874.

All of the buildings were erected by Brandt who also had a small lumberyard on the farm. The property was later the home of Sid Reimer.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

 

 

Lone Star Farm (Brown House and Farm)

This substantial house was built for Harry and Fannie Brown who moved with their family from Rockford Illinois to the Sperling area in 1907.

The yard includes a 1939 vault-roofed barn, and century-plus, gable-roofed barn, dismantled and moved from Illinois to the farm at the time. It is home to four generations of the Brown family.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

E.K. Kroeker Barn

Vault-roofed barn with hayloft.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

 

 

Abraham E. Eidse Farmsite

This yard, established in 1900 is the farmsite of Abraham E. (and Helena) Eidse, one of the early setters who came with his father and family from Prussia to Manitoba in 1874. In 1912, it became the farm of son, Abram K. and Anna (Bartel) Eidse, and later in 1952, the home of Frank P. and Margaret (Eidse) Kroeker.

The barn burned in 1963 and the house moved in the yard and remodeled.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

David K. Eidse House

The house was built by Mr. and Mrs. David K. Eidse following their wedding in November 1914. Lumber and gravel for the house was hauled with horse and sleigh (Furrows In the Valley: 1880–1980, p. 459).

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

Loewen House

This framed house, situated on a river lot between the Morris River and the village road now called Riverside Drive, remains one of the few houses of the former village of Rosenhoff.

It was built by the present owner’s grandfather, Abram D. Loewen, and in 1918 used as a morgue during a period of the Spanish influenza (Furrows in the Valley, p. 443).

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

Stevenson Barn

This vault-roofed barn is in the former farmyard of Roy and Barbara Stevenson who farmed on the site until retirement in 1967.

Roy was a son of Matthew James (Jim) Stevenson who established Stevenson Evergreen Nursery in the Morris area.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

 

Stevenson’s Evergreen Nursery

This nursery, established by Matthew James Stevenson in 1926, was operated by three generations of Stevenson families whose stock specialized in evergreens.

The farmstead house of son, Bronson Stevenson, is now located in Morris.

Below right is an air photo of the nursery in 1965.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

 

 

Siemens Farm House

This farmhouse east of Riverside was built by Mrs. Siemens after her husband, Peter H, died in 1916. Mrs. Siemens, known as a successful business and farm woman, raised 10 children here, one child, Mary, who married Cornelius T. Friesen and raised a family of 11 here. (Furrows in the Valley, p. 447).

The farmyard includes a barn from an early period.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

Fehr House

The house was built by David Kroeker in Rosenort and later moved to its present site just outside of Riverside.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

 

Goossen Farm

This farmyard of small framed buildings is located in a Mennonite farming community just east of Rosenort. Originally the farm of Dave Goossen, and later Leroy Goossen, it is now the home of Warren Goossen.

The 1925 house was moved from across the road onto its foundation dating 1941, and the barn moved from Rosenort.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner’s privacy.

Skip to toolbar